26.5.10

Storyville: Shooting Robert King.



Last night I watched a documentary about the endearing and seemingly clueless photographer, Robert King. I had read the review in the G2 and was instantly intrigued. I hope that you all get to watch it, although I am warning you now that it does contain the most explicit war footage I have ever seen. It is quite something to feel like you are getting a rare glimpse of images that are usually watered down for our timid brains. King's description of his process of working is what stuck with me the most, he says that when he is photographing brutal and horrific scenes of human suffering he no longer sees people or faces but shape and colour, a composition. He strives to capture honestly the atrocities we commit against each other and document it the best way he knows how. I felt quite humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment